Things to Know:
- Before the game even started it almost felt like the Jays lost already after it was announced Martin was going to be placed on the DL. That would make 5 regulars and key components on the DL. I really need the baseball gods to chill a little bit and give the Jays even a little bit of a chance to reach .500.
- Today also marked the return of Edwin Encarnacion as Cleveland came to town. It was really nice to see him get a standing ovation and huge round of applause for all but one of his at bats (he got some boos in 8th, but with 2 runs in and a man on 2nd for Cleveland it was necessary). But I think the best welcoming was from his ex-teammates. The smile on Bautista’s face as he joked around with Encarnacion was so sincere and beautiful.
- Stro pitched much better than his last start. He had men on base all game long but some nifty defense behind him allowed him to go 6 scoreless innings. In fact he induced three double plays, one he was a part off, and forced Pillar to go in Superman mode to make a diving catch on the warning track into the wall (yes I have GIFs of that).
- Jays got all their hitting done in before the 4th and huge shout out to Goins who hit a HUGE home run to put the Jays on the board. As well to Smoak who’s clever base running allowed his single to score in 2 runs (one being Morales, which I think is important to note when you imagine runners try to outrun a throw).
- The bullpen was again great. Barnes was roughed up in his second inning but Smith was able to end the bleeding fairly quickly and Osuna was his usually self.
- The Jays won a game I pretty much wrote off so I’m happy, you happy? I know, I know it’s terrible of me but have you seen the DL list?!?!?!?
Edwin says hi to his former teammates.
A boy and his shorts.